Rev. Edward Ernest Macgowan Benson
|Tenure on the Post||1908 - 1921|
|Preceded By||Rev. E.A. Newton|
|Succeeded By||Rev. F.V. Dawkins|
|Birth||21st January, 1871|
|Death||19th November, 1935 (Aged 64)|
Rev. Edward (Ned) Ernest Macgowan Benson was the third of the seven Benson brothers. He studied at Trinity College, Cambridge where he became the "Senior Wrangler" (or highest-scoring student) when he completed his third year (Part II) of the Mathematical Tripos with first-class honours. He married May, daughter of Rev. Wakefield Suft Meade, on 23rd December, 1902. He had a son, Gerald Edward and daughter, Enid.
The role of Rev. Benson has been that of a Master Builder, who literally laid the very foundations of the School. During his time, building activity in School assumed blistering proportions.
- First Electricity Lines in School were connected in 1909.
- Lefroy Infirmary, built on the hill overlooking the Quad, was completed in 1914.
- Lyon Hall/Main Building was occupied in 1915.
- In 1920, the school's first Chapel, built during the tenure of R. Carter (1878 - 1898) and located on the site of the present Westcott Hall, was demolished to make room for the building of Westcott Hall.
- The above activities effectively created the School's Quadrangle (QUAD), the focal point of life at School from then till today.
- The First Building built by School between 1864 and 1877, on the site of the present Lower Field, was demolished after the above building activities to create the Lower Field.